Is your story too heavy and hardcore for other “best of” anthologies? Then you’ve come to the right place because Red Room Press is now accepting stories for YEAR’S BEST HARDCORE HORROR VOL. 5, a yearly collection intended to give recognition to the extreme, harder side of horror, stories that break boundaries and trash taboos.
Editors: Randy Chandler and Cheryl Mullenax.
Requirements: The story was originally (or will be) published in a 2019 anthology, single author collection, magazine, or online magazine. Self-published anthologies and collections are acceptable as well.
Deadline: December 31, 2019.
Length: Up to 6000 words. Word count is flexible and longer works are always considered but please note the max payment is $60.00.
Payment: 1 cent a word for reprint rights. ($60 max)
What to Send
In the body of an email:
- Author name
- Story title
- Name of anthology or magazine or online magazine it was (or will be) published in:
- If the book is available on Amazon and your story credit appears somewhere on the page, send us the link. If not, send a link to the best source with that information (publisher’s page, etc).
- If the story was in a magazine, send us a web link to the issue TOC where your story appears, or if that’s not available send us a scan of the table of contents (print magazines, etc.).
- A bio
- A short description of the story.
- Attach the entire manuscript in rtf, doc format, or a PDF or mobi of the magazine or book it appears in if available. Note: if sending a doc or rtf, please make sure this is the final version of your story, exactly as it appears in the published version.
Important Note: Make sure your contract allows you to publish the story in a “best of” anthology. If you’re not sure, check with your publisher. If necessary, ask them for a waiver.
In an email include the following:
- Name of publication and publisher, date published and format (print, ebook, magazine, etc)
- A pdf, doc, rtf, or mobi of the publication.
- If there are any particular stories you feel we might be interested in feel free to make a note of that (optional).
Include in the Email subject line: YEAR’S BEST HARDCORE HORROR
Email to ybhh (at) redroompress.com
We’ll send a notification within 48 hours that we received your submission. If you don’t get this, please inquire. We may not have received it. Please note that we are not sending out rejection notices and will only notify authors if their story was selected. Thank you!